The Ford Flex is a full-size crossover SUV that has been manufactured by Ford since 2008. Over the years, it has gained popularity for its spacious interior, unique design, and versatility. However, not all Ford Flex years are created equal. There are certain years that have been plagued with issues and should be avoided.
In this article, we will dive deep into the Ford Flex years to avoid and the reasons behind it.
Brief Overview of the Ford Flex
The Ford Flex was introduced in 2008 as a three-row crossover SUV. It quickly gained attention for its distinctive boxy design and spacious interior. The Flex was designed to cater to families and offered ample space for both passengers and cargo. It boasted a comfortable ride and a range of available features that made it a popular choice in the market.
However, over the years, the Ford Flex has had its fair share of problems. Some model years have experienced recurring issues that have impacted their reliability and performance. It’s important to be aware of these problematic years so that you can make an informed decision when considering a used Ford Flex.
What Are The Primary Ford Flex Years to Avoid?
When it comes to the Ford Flex, there are a few years that stand out as problematic and should be avoided. These years have been associated with a higher frequency of issues and complaints from owners. Let’s take a closer look at the primary Ford Flex years to avoid:
- 2009 Flex: Known to have issues with power door locks and the navigation system.
- 2010 Flex: Plagued with problems related to the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and suspension system.
- 2013 Flex: Regarded as one of the worst years, this model has fuel delivery system and electrical circuit issues, which can lead to hazardous situations.
- 2014 Flex: Has had problems with the power transfer unit (PTU) and the electrical system, including malfunctioning lights and infotainment issues.
- 2015 Flex: Has faced air conditioning (A/C) fan problems and electrical system setup issues.
These years have been associated with a range of problems, from minor inconveniences to major mechanical issues. It’s important to note that not all vehicles from these years will experience these issues, but the frequency of reported problems is higher compared to other years.
What Common Problems Does the Ford Flex Encounter?
The Ford Flex has encountered a variety of problems over the years. These problems can range from electrical issues to engine-related problems. Let’s take a closer look at some of the common problems that the Ford Flex has faced:
Common Electrical Problems
One of the recurring issues with the Ford Flex is electrical problems. Owners have reported issues such as interior and exterior lights malfunctioning and problems with the infotainment system. These electrical issues can be frustrating and can affect the overall driving experience.
A/C Fan Intermittent Issues
Another problem that some Ford Flex owners have encountered is intermittent issues with the A/C fan. This can lead to discomfort during hot weather, as the fan may not cool the cabin adequately. It’s important to have this issue addressed to ensure a comfortable driving experience.
Engine Related Issues
Some Ford Flex years have experienced engine-related problems. These issues can range from minor performance issues to major engine failures. It’s crucial to address any engine-related problems promptly to prevent further damage and ensure the longevity of the vehicle.
Power Transfer Unit Issues (PTU)
The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) is responsible for transferring power from the transmission to the front and rear wheels in all-wheel-drive (AWD) vehicles.
Some Ford Flex years have experienced problems with the PTU, leading to a loss of power or complete failure. It’s essential to address any PTU issues to maintain the drivability of the vehicle.
Fuel System Is Failure Prone
The fuel system in some Ford Flex years has been prone to failure. Issues such as fuel leakage and fluid seepage have been reported, which can be hazardous and require immediate attention. Regular maintenance checks and inspections are crucial to identify and address any fuel system problems.
Factory Brake System Is Assembled Improperly
In some Ford Flex years, the factory brake system has been assembled improperly. This can lead to safety concerns and compromised braking performance. It’s important to have the brake system inspected and serviced regularly to ensure optimal performance and safety.
Cosmetic and Quality of Life Issues
Aside from the mechanical problems, some Ford Flex years have encountered cosmetic and quality of life issues. These issues can include problems with interior accessories, such as seat latches and controls, as well as exterior accessories, such as the sunroof and door handles.
While these issues may not impact the overall performance of the vehicle, they can be frustrating and affect the overall ownership experience.
It’s important to note that not all Ford Flex years will experience these problems. However, these are some of the issues that have been reported by owners and should be taken into consideration when considering a used Ford Flex.
Aside From These Issues, Is The Ford Flex Generally Reliable?
Overall, the reliability of the Ford Flex can vary depending on the model year. While some years have been plagued with problems, others have proven to be more reliable. It’s important to thoroughly research and consider the specific model year you are interested in to gauge its reliability.
According to various sources, the Ford Flex has received average to above-average reliability ratings. However, it’s important to note that individual experiences may vary, and proper maintenance and regular inspections are crucial to ensure the reliability of any vehicle.
Are There Any Decent Ford Flex Years?
Despite the problematic years, there are still some Ford Flex years that have proven to be more reliable and offer a better ownership experience. Let’s take a look at some of the decent Ford Flex years:
- 2016 Flex: Stands out for its updated infotainment system, improved fuel efficiency, and overall reliability. It offers a comfortable and spacious ride, making it a great option for families.
- 2017 Flex: Maintains the smooth ride and reliability of previous years. It also introduces improved standard features, such as a rearview camera and the SYNC 3 infotainment system.
- 2018 Flex: Addresses many of the issues faced by earlier models and offers a smooth ride, versatility, and improved reliability. It also features the updated SYNC 3 infotainment system, which is favored for its user-friendly interface.
These years have demonstrated more reliability and have received positive feedback from owners. However, it’s important to note that individual experiences may vary, and proper maintenance and regular inspections are crucial for any vehicle’s reliability.
Overview of the Best Years for The Ford Flex
To recap, the best years for the Ford Flex include the 2019, 2018, and 2016 models. These years have shown improved reliability, updated technology features, and a smoother ride. They offer a better ownership experience and are worth considering if you are in the market for a used Ford Flex.
Best Ford Flex Years Breakdown By Model
Let’s break down the best Ford Flex years by model to provide a comprehensive overview:
Ford Flex SEL and Limited Models
- 2016 Flex: SEL and Limited models stand out for their updated infotainment system, improved fuel efficiency, and overall reliability. They offer a comfortable and spacious ride, making them great options for families.
- 2017 Flex: SEL and Limited models maintain the smooth ride and reliability of previous years. They also introduce improved standard features, such as a rearview camera and the SYNC 3 infotainment system.
- 2018 Flex: SEL and Limited models address many of the issues faced by earlier models and offer a smooth ride, versatility, and improved reliability. They also feature the updated SYNC 3 infotainment system, which is favored for its user-friendly interface.
Ford Flex SE Model
- 2019 Flex: Stands out as the best year for this model due to its high-reliability rating and improved gas mileage. It brings together the best features and improvements from previous years, making it the ideal choice for consumers.
These years offer a range of features, improved reliability, and a better overall ownership experience for both SEL/Limited and SE models.
So, Which Models Would I Recommend?
Based on the research and analysis, I would recommend the following models if you are considering a Ford Flex:
- 2019 Flex: The best overall choice for its high-reliability rating, improved gas mileage, and a range of available features.
- 2018 Flex: Offers a balance of reliability, features, and performance. It addresses many of the issues faced by earlier models and comes equipped with the updated SYNC 3 infotainment system.
- 2016 Flex: Introduces the updated infotainment system and maintains the reliability, spaciousness, and comfort that the Ford Flex is known for.
These models have shown improved reliability, better features, and a more enjoyable ownership experience. However, it’s important to conduct a thorough inspection and consider individual vehicle history when purchasing a used Ford Flex to ensure the best possible choice.
Recap of Main Points
In summary, the Ford Flex has had its share of ups and downs throughout the years. While some model years have experienced recurring issues, others have proven to be more reliable and offer a better ownership experience.
It’s essential to be aware of the problematic Ford Flex years, such as the 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, and 2015 models, which have been associated with a range of issues, from electrical problems to engine-related issues, fuel system failures, and more.
However, there are still some decent Ford Flex years, such as the 2016, 2017, and 2018 models, which have shown improved reliability, updated technology features, and a smoother ride. These years offer a better ownership experience and are worth considering if you are in the market for a used Ford Flex.
Remember to thoroughly research and consider individual vehicle history when purchasing a used Ford Flex to ensure the best possible choice. Regular maintenance and inspections are crucial to maintaining the reliability of any vehicle.
With the right choice and proper care, the Ford Flex can still be a spacious, versatile, and enjoyable SUV for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Based on recurring issues and higher frequency of complaints, it is advisable to avoid the 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Ford Flex model years.
Common issues include electrical problems (such as malfunctioning lights and infotainment issues), A/C fan intermittent issues, engine-related problems, issues with the Power Transfer Unit (PTU), fuel system failures, improperly assembled factory brake systems, and various cosmetic and quality of life issues.
Yes, the 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 Ford Flex models have demonstrated improved reliability, updated features, and have generally received positive feedback from owners.
The Ford Flex has received average to above-average reliability ratings according to various sources. However, this can vary depending on the specific model year and individual vehicle maintenance.
Conduct thorough research on the specific model year you are interested in, check for any outstanding recalls or known issues, and ensure the vehicle has been well-maintained with regular service checks. It’s also beneficial to have a trusted mechanic inspect the vehicle before purchase.